- 1 International Day of Persons With Disabilities
- 2 or
- 3 International Day Of Disabled Persons
- 3.1 December 03
- 3.2 International Day of the persons with Disability Previous 10 Years Theme
- 3.3 Theme for 2015: Inclusion matters: access and empowerment for people of all abilities
- 3.4 How You Can Contribute for the Day
International Day of Persons With Disabilities
International Day Of Disabled Persons
Theme for 2015 Disability Day : Inclusion matters: access and empowerment for people of all abilities
The International Day of Persons with Disability has been commemorated in 1992 for the first time. The aim of the day is to promote an understanding of disability issues and rise for the support for the dignity, rights and well-being.
The Day is also called as the Disability Day or International Day of Disabled Person. There are around one billion people living with disabilities worldwide and of course they face many barriers in their life.
The Day works to promote action to raise awareness about disability issues and draw attention to the benefits of an inclusive and accessible society for all.
They have all the right as we have so its our duty to give them access to our society on equal basis.
International Day of the persons with Disability Previous 10 Years Theme
- 2005: “Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Action in Development”
- 2006: “E-Accessibility”
- 2007: “Decent Work for Persons with Disabilities”
- 2008: “Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Dignity and justice for all of us”
- 2009: “Making the MDGs Inclusive: Empowerment of persons with disabilities and their communities around the world”
- 2010: “Keeping the promise: Mainstreaming disability in the Millennium Development Goals towards 2015 and beyond”
- 2011: “Together for a better world for all: Including persons with disabilities in development”
- 2012: “Removing barriers to create an inclusive and accessible society for all”
- 2013: “Break Barriers, Open Doors: for an inclusive society and development for all”
- 2014: “Sustainable development: The promise of technology”
Theme for 2015: Inclusion matters: access and empowerment for people of all abilities
The worldwide one billion disabled peoples are facing many problems barriers obstacles in their life, due to which they feel them self as a minority class or minority group people. As a result they are not able to get access of their life completely. We should have to provide them equal stand in out society, in transports, employment, education, social and political field.
Persons with disabilities must be able to fulfil their role in society and participate on an equal basis with others. It is important to focus on the ability and not on the disability of an individual.
The sub-themes for the 2015 observance of the International Day are:
- Making cities inclusive and accessible for all : It is estimated that by 2050, 66% of the world’s population will be living in cities. So this sub theme covers the better and ease city for disabled. Those working in the field of disability improvement are trying to review current practices and identify opportunities for change. You can see at the railway stations, in the buses, trains, everywhere Govt. are providing separate facilities for disabled.
- Improving disability data and statistics : The lack of data and information on disability and the situation of persons with disabilities at the national level contribute to the invisibility of persons with disabilities in official statistics. This is one of the major barriers in resolving problems for the persons with disability. The Day will also be used to highlight challenges and map out strategies to involve persons with disabilities and their organizations in disability data and statistics collection and dissemination.
- Including persons with invisible disabilities in society and development : Person with disability which are not visible are in a high proportion among the persons with disability. This includes mental disability and other mental problems. So this day is also for taking one more step towards these disables.
How You Can Contribute for the Day
Always remember, the first change comes from us, so never think let it continue. Just take the step ahead to change the world. You will never understand the problems faced by the disables, you can only imagine but you imagination is just a part the barriers are much more than that.
Do Donations for disables at least 1% percent of your monthly income. This is not a big amount.
Join Disability Awareness Programme. Aware your society about this.
Help disables if you found anybody on roads, at stations or anywhere, don’t ignore.
So begin from yourself and contribute for the persons with disability. Hope you have liked the stuff on International Day of persons with disabilities.