NAME: LATA MANGESHKAR
CHILDHOOD NAME: HEMA
FATHER’S NAME: PT. DINANATH MANGESHKAR
MOTHER’S NAME: SHUDHAMATI (SHEVANTI)
DATE OF BIRTH: 28 SEPTEMBER 1929
PLACE OF BIRTH: INDORE, MADHYA PRADESH (INDIA)
KNOWN FOR: CLASSICAL SINGING
BROTHER: HRIDAYANATH MANGESHKAR
SISTERS: USHA, ASHA AND MEENA
TERMED AS: NIGHTINGALE OF INDIA
NICK NAME: DIDI
LATA MANGESHKAR HISTORY IN BRIEF
Lata was born in Indore, in the state of Madhya Pradesh. Lata was not her real name, she was born as Hema but rechristened later as Lata after a famous character Latika from her father’s play Bhaaw Bandhan. Her father, Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar was a classical and theatre actor. Her mother Sudhmati was Dinanath’s second wife her family last name was used to be “Hardikar” but changed to “Mangeshkar” by Dinanathji in order to indentify his family with his native Town, Mangeshi in Goa.
Lata took her first music lesson by his father. At the age of five, she started to work as an actress in her father’s music play. On Lata started singing at the age of five, and studied the fine art of music with Aman Ali Khan and Amanat khan, famous singers of that time. It is very difficult for Lata at that time to make his voice loud because that era is ruled in singing by famous singers like Noor Jahan and Shamshad Begum. The first day at school, she started teaching songs to other children. When the teacher stopped her, she was get angry and she stopped going to the school. Lata was very young when her father passed away, making the family dependent on Lata. To take care of her family’s economic situation, Lataji acted in as many as eight films from 1942 to 1948. After this begin a new era of singing.
CAREER IN FILM INDUSTRY
Lataji is one of the best singer of the Hindi Film Industry. Lata goes to fame rapidly and make her indelible mark in film industry. She has sung with famous singers like M.Rafi , Kishore kumar, Mukesh, etc. She has perfected almost every genre of music. She understood the requirement of each song and sung fabulously. At beginning of her career, she devoted as playback singer in a Marathi film named “Kiti Hassal” (1942). Unfortunatelyu the song was not got fame and edited out. Her first hindi playback was or the name of the film”Apki Seva Mein” (1947), but she was not get noticed. The song “Dil Mera Toda” finally got her noticed, and it was touted as her break through song. In 1949, she had four major hits from the film Barsaat, Andaaz, Dulaari and Mahal. The song was “Ayega Aane Wala” from Mahal was a huge hit and Lataji secured a firm position in the industry. The period of 1960s , made her Queen of bollywood playback singing. She sang almost for all the prominent composer of the industry. Her songs got extremely nice response from people all over the country. In late 1970s and early 1980s , Lataji worked with the children of the music composer, with whom she had worked in the past. In the year 1990 Lataji esltablished his own production house. Their first and last film “Lekin” was a total flop. Mangeshkar has also sung some non film songs include Gazal with Jagjit singh. She sang quite a number of Bengali songs with Music director like Salil Chaudhary and Hemant kimar. Her whole life is devoted to music and singing.
INTRESTING FACTS ABOUT LATA MANGESHKAR
· Lataji always sings barefoot.
· Latji has sung in more than 20 languages.
· Lataji lent her voice for the first time in Movie “Kiti Hasaal” in 1942, but the song was not released.
· Lataji has also acted in 10 films, including “Pahli Mangalagaur, Badi Maa, Jeevan Yatra, Mandir along with cameos in Chhatrapati Shivaji and Pukaar(2000).
· Lata’s name is also recorded in the Guinness Book of World Record for having sung the maximum number of songs in the World.
BEST SONGS OF HIS CAREER
· Aye mere watan ke logon ……
· Jab pyaar kiya to darna kya…….
· Satyam Shivam Sundram……….
· Saawan ka mahina…….
· Bindiya Chamkegi……..
· Bahon mein chale aa…..
· Tere chehre se nazar nahin……
· Jaane kyun log mohabbat….
· Mujhe teri mohabbat ka…..
· Ye Galiyan ye Chobara……
· Kora kaagaz tha ye mann mera……
· Gum hai kisi ke pyaar mein…..
· Yeh raat bheegi bheegi ye……
· Dilbar se Dil se pyaare dilbar…..
· Itna na mujhse tu pyaar….
· Tere bina Zindagi se koi……
AWARDS AND HONOURS
* Filmfare Awards – 1958, 1962, 1965, 1969, 1993 and 1994
* National Awards – 1972, 1975 and 1990
* 1969 – Padma Bhushan
* 1989 – Dada Saheb Phalke Award
* 1993 – Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award
* 1996 – Star Screen Lifetime Achievement Award
* 1997 – Rajiv Gandhi Award
* 1999 – NTR Award
* 1999 – Padma Vibhushan
* 1999 – Zee Cine Award for Lifetime Acheivement
Lataji Mangeshkar is one of the gems of our country , of our world. She devoted her whole life to music, and only because of her we have now songs for every moment, from sad to romantic, from conceal to reveal love. We are very thankful to her.